Generation Z, which roughly includes individuals born between 1995 and 2010, is quickly becoming one of the most powerful groups our economy and food industry has ever seen. As this generation of future CEOs and decision-makers leaves college and enters the workforce, it’s becoming increasingly important for companies to understand the unique needs and characteristics associated with these up-and-coming B2B customers.
See Related: B2B Marketing Tips for Engaging Gen Z
Five Traits of Gen Z
- Crave personalization – Gen Zers want experiences tailored to their likes and dislikes. They value individual expression, avoid labels and hate being put into target audience groups, which challenges mass market approaches by pushing companies to personalize products and services.
- Connect to social and digital channels – Gen Zers grew up using the internet, social media and mobile devices. This means they can access online information to make informed purchasing decisions quickly. Despite our tech savviness, studies show that 53% of Gen Z customers and employees prefer in-person discussions over instant messaging or email.
- Multitask like mad – In addition to being called the “iGeneration,” Gen Z is also known as the “Eight Second Generation.” They grew up in a world where options are limitless, but time is not, so focusing on quickly sorting through information is essential.
- Act pragmatically – While millennials were raised during an economic boom, they grew up during a recession. As a result, experts often say that they’re more sensible than their millennial counterparts.
- Think sustainably – Individuals in the iGeneration are environmentally conscious. Placing value on eco-friendly and healthy lifestyles much more than other generations, partnering with mission-driven organizations is important to this generation.
Rethinking Marketing Strategies
Gen Zers are inclusive, compassionate and purpose-driven, and based decisions on companies that reflect similar views. Considering your unique characteristics and traits, you’ll be one step closer to successfully engaging with this consumer demographic through B2B marketing.
For more information on developing an effective B2B marketing strategy for reaching your target audience, which includes this next generation of customers, please contact us. You can also download our report, B2B Food Ingredient Marketing Tips for Engaging With Gen Zers, to learn strategies to successfully engage with these up-and-coming customers.